Sorry it's been so long since the last update. I've been super tied up with work and have been unable to find the time for the blog. That being said, I've got an extra bonus packed post for everyone today, enjoy!
The Poetry Month/Twinkie Birthday Poetry Contest
"Today marks the 75th birthday of the Twinkie.
I was once called un-American because I hate Twinkies. Not only is the filling much too sweet, it also has a granulated feel to it that makes me feel like I'm eating dirt. I don't like the sponge cake, either. Feels too much like real sponge.
But far be it from me to stand in the way of a birthday celebration for a beloved snack cake. I thought I'd combine National Poetry Month with the birthday of Twinkies in one delicious contest. That's right. Twinkie Poetry.
The rules are pretty open:
- Almost any form is acceptable - limerick, haiku, free verse, couplets, anything but epic poetry. Please, no Odyssey as done by Twinkies and other Hostess products.
- Enter in the comments. No email entries accepted.
- The subject matter is wide open. As long as it has to do with Twinkies, I don't care if it's an ode, a love poem, a hate poem, a recipe in rhyme or a limerick about what you do with your frozen Twinkies when no one is looking. Parodies of well known poems/lyrics also acceptable.
- You can enter as many times as you like, but each entry must go in a separate comment.
- Contest remains open until some time this evening, subject to change without notice, depending on how many entries I get.
- I will not judge. A judge's panel will be formed. If you don't want to enter the contest, but want to be a judge, email me. It helps if you have expertise in the Twinkie and/or poetry areas.
There is a prize this time. Winner will receive in the mail one box of Twinkies, of course."
McBoozo's Drunken Poetry Jam is also contributing a Twinkies bumper sticker to the winner as well!
Enjoy this contest courtesy of Michelle at A Small Victory!
Well, I've finally broken down and started to rip my entire CD collection into my home compruter. The eventual plan is to purchase a streaming media box to allow me to play all of the files on my home stereo. I've got over 1,000 cd's covering just about every genre of music you can imagine. As a special bonus I'll be posting random tracks (in .mp3 format) for your listening pleasure on a daily basis. I'll keep the songs available for download for approx. 2-3 weeks. I hope you'll enjoy them! Here's a couple to get today started followed by a couple fun links. Sorry again about the last week of non-posting...I promise it'll never happen again! Oh, and also found below is my contribution to the Poetry Month/Twinkie Birthday!
Mahna Mahna - Cake (This song just absolutely rocks, The Muppet Show ruled!)
(To save these files Right Click on link and select Save Target As...)
Random Links '0 the Day:
Music Lab is a research project conducted by scientists from Columbia University to learn about how people form opinions about music. If you participate in Music Lab you will have a chance to download free new music.
Considered by most as being the greatest professional wrestling star of all time, Richard Morgan Fliehr has combined his superior wrestling skills with an unmatched desire and unparalleled arrogance to create the greatest show on earth - the "Nature Boy" Ric Flair. [This site is just too funny, I've been saving it for a while now to share with everyone!!!]
My Twinkie Poem
The golden exterior, it calls out my name
No other snack cake tastes quite the same
The delightful creme filling, it takes me away
As I take my first bite I dance and I sway
My vision goes blurry, my tastebuds they melt
My blood sugar rises as I loosen my belt!
I shake and I tremble as I go back for more
These sweet little treats that I simply adore!
Originally named for the twinkle toe shoe
They switched to creme filling during World War II
You see they used filling that was made from bananas
Good ol' Twinkie the Kid even sports a bandana
At only a hundred and fifty calories apiece
It would take quite a few to become rather obese
Five hundred million are baked every year
But my box is now empty it would seem to appear!